12 July 2008

Life's Priorities

I read this article in My Paper and agreed very much with the good doctor.

It also reminded me of an incident a few years ago. I was driving along Upp Bt Timah Road on my way home after a badminton game, and had stopped at a traffic light-controlled intersection. I neglected to pull the hand brake and because I was on the phone (with hands-free set, of course), I didn't notice my car rolling forward due to a slight gradient. It hit the car in front before I realised it. Both of us got out to inspect for any damage done.

Not seeing any damage on both cars, we exchanged names and contact numbers and moved our separate ways. Minutes later, as I was almost home, the other driver called, sounding rather agitated. He claimed he had found a dent on his rear bumper and asked me to meet with him to resolve the matter. When we met, he pointed to a dent on his bumper which I thought was hardly noticeable. It was surreal how upset he was over it!

He went on to claim against my insurance and the repair bill came to more than $400! He had got the whole bumper replaced because of a tiny dent which one would have to examine closely to even see it! He failed to understand what a bumper is really designed to do.

Is it any wonder why motor insurance premiums have increased by about 20% on average this year, as a result of huge losses incurred by the insurance companies last year?

Over the years, within the first months of getting my new cars, someone would invariably scratch them. It seemed that there are always people out there who cannot stand the sight of the perfect paintwork on new cars. I just shrugged it off - life is too short to get a heart attack over such trivialities.


"Fastidious taste makes enjoyment a struggle."
Mason Cooley

1 comment:

pehsk 白成杰 said...

Dear Kevin,
Yes, I read the new also. Thanks for posted it in your blog.
Regards
pehsk